Monday, February 27, 2012

How To Land A Job...On The Set of "Pretty Woman"

YoPro: What Not To Wear
YoPro: What Not To Wear by yoproblog


I attended a conference over the weekend with the usual panels, Q&A, networking session, and obligatory post-event happy hour. What was unusual was the choice of outfits among my fellow attendees that seemed to pass for business casual. Emphasis on the casual


Their attire struck me as unusual not because I could have babysat most of them and therefore am generationally sartorially out-of-touch, but because the school that I attend is very career-oriented. It encourages students to obtain internships and attend networking events within the first weekend on campus. Consequently, the undergraduates with whom I attend school are networkers on steroids. So it surprised me when I walked into the conference center and the first two women I saw were wearing blazers, but had decked out their lower halves with shorts and a mini skirt respectively. Granted they were wearing black tights, but when you see hemlines that high, they turn heads. 


Most of the young men women at the conference nailed it and looked every bit the yo-pro, but there were certain minor things that I felt compelled to tell my young friends are still not appropriate at a professional event. Things like "hooker heels"-- 5 inch heels representing every color of Tropical Skittles that sound so plastic everyone knows you bought them at Forever 21-- or shoulder-grazing earrings and ironic hairbows. I love me some early Madonna and fully believe that you should "Express Yourself," but there is a fine line between personal self-expression and just too personal. 


Bro-pros, you don't have much to worry about in this department because it's pretty hard to screw up your uniform (unless you have a thing for deep Vs or don't own an iron). So here are some of my biggest (female) offenders:

  • Mini skirts: This is a ridiculously simple one. At an interview or a conference, your elevator pitch is the only thing allowed to be short. Make sure your skirt is closer to your knee than your belly button.
  • Shorts: This is a new phenomenon to me. But just because you wear them with tights and a blazer does not make these appropriate. Save it for when you actually land that internship at Teen Vogue.
  • Heels: Of course you want to stand out from the crowd and show some personality. But your personality is not your height. 5 inch heels are not appropriate for an interview or work. If you wear the same shoes on a Saturday that you do on a Monday, it's time to diversify your shoe portfolio.
  • Distracting accessoriesYou want to be treated like a young professional, not just young. Avoid things like fabric flowers and any accessory that includes a bow unless you're applying for a job at Hot Topic. Ditto to dangly earrings or arm parties of bangles. In my younger, uninformed days, I once attended an interview for TJX Companies. Because they were retail-focused, I figured I would show I had a little fashion sense and mix up my black suit. I wore copper-plated Turkish dangly earrings with a moon in one ear and a star in the other. Big mistake. My friend, who worked in HR and still does, told me that she knew I was not going to get the job the second I walked out the door. Learning lesson gained, although I can't help wonder if my life would be a lot different if she had TOLD me and I had actually landed the job.
  • Dramatic makeup: Subtle and enhancing makeup is an absolute do. Recent studies have shown that women who wear makeup at work are more successful than those who don't. (Take that, feminism! :/ ) Time to leave the false eyelashes, smokey cat eye, magenta lips, and fake bake at home, ladies. 
What other pro-no's are on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment