Monday, April 9, 2012

Kids These Days: One Direction

This past Saturday, the new "It" band, One Direction, played on Saturday Night Live. Apparently in pre-teen girl land, this was a momentous occasion, so I decided to see what the hype was about and why these lads were bringing back the boy band craze with a vengeance.



After watching their two performances, I was a bit underwhelmed. Well, a lot underwhelmed. Admittedly, they're cute, and it seems like they can all carry a tune. They're screwed when they hit puberty though because I don't think any of their voices have dropped. They have the antics of 15-year old boys, which was pretty refreshing, but could get annoying right quick (cheek poke? fake mustache in the end credits?) But I didn't quite understand the mix of modern-day Newsie with Bruno Mars ensembles, the lack of choreography beyond switching places on stage and the hand clap, and the kid who kept flipping and shaking his hair at the end of every performance. You're not the Biebs, not by a long shot. And the Biebs' hair looks clean. Yours looks like a Gremlin adopted by the Lost Boys in Neverland.

I grew up on the tail end of NKOTB and right in the thick of BSB and NSYNC. Now these guys wore floor-length duster leather trench coats, space suits, rhinestone track pants, matching denim with Brit Brit, and corn rows and ski goggles, but they OWNED them. And they danced in them. Hard. Who doesn't remember the choreography to "Oh oh oh-ohhh" from The Right Stuff or the hand chomp in "Bye Bye Bye"? Those were boy bands. That was music. And I want it that way, not One Direction. Kids these days...

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I just assumed I was getting old when I decided this was BAD.

    ReplyDelete