Saturday, April 14, 2012

Plugging In and Bugging Out: Addendum

This was too good not to share. I heart me some Portlandia (who doesn't want to be Carrie Brownstein?) and this "Did You Read?" sketch was spot-on about our culture's demand to keep up with today's headlines and the two-fold pressure to be culturally superior and more well-read than our peers. My friend Julia over at PR Sugar shared it with me and said "If this is the future of PR, I don't know if I can keep up!" Amen, sister. A PR YoPro's job now requires constant news monitoring in addition to a million other responsibilities to juggle and sometimes I feel like I can't keep up. But I think this is indicative of YoPros in general. It reminds me of a particular set of friends from back home who had subscriptions to the New Yorker by the time we were 13 and another set of friends from college who are in the music industry who love to casually mention obscure bands and their reviews on Pitchfork. And like I mentioned in my previous post, my classmates at school are dominant at reading every article, seeing every video, and sharing every meme in the book and I'm sure they get personal satisfaction every time they can say, "Did you read? Oh you haven't?" Hoping I can keep up!





No comments:

Post a Comment